Built on foundations unshaken
Though the winds of change have blown,
Firmly stands our school united,
All its gains our very own,
So the years roll swiftly onward
And our tasks are nobly done;
Now we join and sing together
Per ardua ad astra.
Ever true and loyal,
Striving hard for each success,
We can face the future boldly,
Proudly, as we make progress.
With determined will and effort
With our motto guiding us,
Let us join and sing together
Per ardua ad astra.
We are following the pathway
Laid by those of yesteryear
Who have left behind a challenge,
Bid us take it without fear.
As we leave for those who follow
Trails upwards to the stars.
Joyfully we hear the echo
Per ardua ad astra.
Words by: Miss Kathleen Laurie
Music by: Mrs Grace Thompson
Alexandra School Centennial Song
Arise, Alexandra, let us raise
Songs of thanksgiving, songs of praise
Thanking God, praising God
For one hundred years
Training and fitting our boys and girls
To take take their place in our Nation
With love for God’s creation.
Let us give thanks, let us give thanks
On this and every day
Let us praise God, let tis praise God
For our goodly heritage
Let us rejoice, let us rejoice
Let us praise our God and say
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA,
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA.
Arise, Alexandra, let us strive
To reach the goal attain the prize
Join the fight, start the drive
Upwards to the light
Keep it burning, ’till the right
Defeats the wrong in our Nation
Fulfilling God’s intention.
Words by: Mrs Jorut Kunru–Yearwood
Music by: Mr Charles Vaughan
- MISS M. S. ARNOLD 1894 - 1908
- MISS BEATRICE LYSONS 1908 - 1918
- MISS EVELYN LAURIE 1918-1951
- MISS HILDA A.C. KELLMAN 1952-l 959
- MISS GABRIELLE A.L. THOMPSON 1960-1977
- MISS SHEILA WARD 1977-1980
- MRS ADA STRAUGHN 1980-1986
- MRS GLENCORA TITUS 1986-1994
Miss Arnold has the honour of being the first Pricipal of this revered institution. Miss Arnold assumed headship of the school in 1894. The school roll comprised thirty two students and two teachers. one of whom was her sister Edith.
Miss Arnold was a strict disciplinarian who instilled moral principles in her students. Her interest and concern for her students were reflected in 1907 when she appealed to the Governing Body to have the school relocated because the then present site was too noisy, particularly during the crop season.
Miss Arnold resigned from the school in June 1908 and returned to England due to illness.
Miss Beatrice Lysons like her predecessor, taught at Queen’s College before becoming the second Principal of the Alexandra School in 1908. Miss Lysons stressed academic achievement but also ensured that students were exposed to a variety of cultural influences.
Her interest in the spiritual lives of the pupils could be discerned from the numerous services which the students attended at St. Peter’s church. These included Ash Wednesday, Aseension Day, Childern’s Service on St. Peter’s Day, and Confirmation.
Miss Evelyn Laurie received her secondary education at Queen’s College. After leaving school, she chose one of the few professions available to women during that era, she became a teacher.
Miss Laurie was an excellent teacher of English, and her love for the language inspired her pupils to excel in the subject. She was well read and knowledgeable about most subjects. Although there was no library at the school she lent the students books from her private collection. She emphasized the importance of good speech and diction, and made reading aloud part of the curriculum.
By the end of Miss Laurie’s long term of office in 1951, the school’s roll had increased to over 125 pupils. It was her wish that the school would continue to still greater successes and above all fulfil its purpose of training ‘good’ women who would be the foundation of a ‘good community’.
Hilda A. C. Kellman became the fourth Principal of the Alexandra School in 1952.
She is well remembered for her strict codes of discipline to which all were compelled to adhere without variation or exception. Any deviant behaviour however slight was brought before the entire student body. Fear of humiliation in front on one’s peers, or standing in the “pergola” went a long way to reduce discipline problems.
Yearly medical examinations at the Speightown Health Centre was part of the school’s ritual during her time.
She loved animals and often her faithful dog would accompany her to class.
Friendly, kind, sympathetic, empathetic, generous, – these are some of the adjectives one must use to describe Gabrielle A.L. Thompson. Miss Thompson was principal during the period 1960-1977. She was the last expatriate principal and resided in the Headteachers Residence, now known as the Thompson block.
Miss Thompson was very kind hearted, and took a personal interest in the students. Although she did not have any children of her own, she officially “adopted” many a pupil during her era. Many students who were experiencing financial difficulties, and were unable to purchase their uniforms and books were financed by her.
During her tenure, Latin was added to the time table and students thoroughly enjoyed these classes with Miss Thompson.
Students will remember the menagerie of cats and dogs which formed an integral part of her family. She could often be seen roaming the premises in search of one of her beloved pets. This love for animals was transferred to the students and as a result the Junior Animal’Lovers Club was formed.
The name”Sheila Ward” is synonymous with the Alexandra School. Her connection and relationship with this institution is extremely difficult to match, having started as a pupil in 1928 through to teacher in 1939, Deputy Principal in 1954 and culminating in the Headship in 1977. She had the honour of being the first old scholar to hold this position. She held this post of Principal until December 1980 when she retired.
Miss Ward’s contribution to education and to this country gained public recognition when in 1980, she was awarded the Silver Crown of Merit.
Mrs Ada Straughn began her teaching career at the Alexandra School in 1946. After a break she returned to the school in 1959 promoted to the post of Deputy Principal in 1977 and later became Principal from 1980 to 1986.
Significant changes occurred during her leadership. Firstly in September 1984, the school became co-educational with entry of the first boys (thirty in number). Secondly, three new blocks were built to accommodate new students. Thirdly, acquisition of additional playing field area.
Mrs Titus’ teaching career at the Alexandra School started in 1961 when she joined the staff as a Geo graphy teacher. After leaving in 1964, she rejoined the staff in 1981 as Deputy Principal and subsequently became Principal in 1986, a post she held until 1994.
As an administrator she involved all her staff in the running of the school and was always willing to try and also to introduce innovations. To this end, when it was discovered that the boys were not performing academically as well as they should, she was willing to experiment with teaching some of the boys and girls separately.